Design a magazine cover that showcases a self-portrait as well as articles about yourself.
PROCESS (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles)
I decided I wanted to do a magazine cover for bicycling. I wanted to have a picture of me with a bike, or at least in cycling attire. I like riding my bike, it helps me get some exercise and I like the rush of the wind on my face. It’s a feeling of freedom.
The process of creating my magazine cover went as followed:
1. I took a piece of paper, divided it into 4 areas and started sketching out some layouts of the title, body text, barcode, and article titles.
2. I then opened InDesign and created a shape map.
3. I found the picture I wanted to use.
5. I opened InDesign and created another 8.5×11 document.
6. I fit my image in to fill the magazine cover.
7. I found a good font that would work with BICYCLING, matched the color of the title that I saw on one of the BICYCLING magazine covers.
8. I placed text boxes around the image in appropriate places so as to not distract from the image itself.
9. I saved and exported as a JPEG with 150 ppi, which you see above.
I posted my magazine cover on Facebook and received feedback from Sierra Hathaway. She suggested that I choose different font colors, which I did end up doing. I also got some feedback from Jason Stucki regarding the fonts, I went ahead and changed some of those as well. He also mentioned increasing the margins. I did that as well.
I appreciate cycling and want to show my enthusiasm for the sport.
People who enjoy riding bikes.
TOP THING LEARNED
Make sure you don’t accidentally delete your draft!
COLOR SCHEME & COLOR NAMES
Complementary // Red, White, Green, Black
TITLE FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Bebas Neue // San Serif
COPY FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Egyptian Slate Std // Modern/Serif
THUMBNAILS OF ANY ORIGINAL, UNEDITED IMAGE(S) USED IN THE PROJECT
SOURCE OF EACH IMAGE (website name and hyperlink)
The image is my own.